Cancer treatment can be difficult. You have many issues to cope with. Your oncology team, along with family and friends are available to help.
- Get plenty of rest during treatment, and don't be afraid to ask for help.
- Follow your doctor's orders. Your doctor may ask you to call if you develop a fever of 101° F or higher.
- Ask if you are unsure about anything. There are no stupid questions.
- Tell your doctor about any medications, vitamins or supplements you are taking to make sure they are safe to use during radiation therapy.
- Nutrition is important. Eat a balanced diet. Let your doctor know if you have trouble swallowing, food tastes funny or you have trouble eating.
- Treat the skin exposed to radiation with special care. Wear a shirt when you're in the sun, avoid hot or cold packs, only use lotions and ointments after checking with your doctor or nurse, and clean the area with warm water and mild soap.